Rowton Castle, Halfway House, Shrewsbury, SY5 9EP
+44 (0) 1743 884 044

Latest tweet

Such a beautiful day for a wedding. @ Rowton Castle Hotel & Restaurant http://t.co/8HYivcXcU3

banner

       

Montague Lowry Corry

Some of the panelling in this part bears a plate with the inscription, "This panelling was erected in the year 1704 and was restored to its original condition by Colonel N A Lowry Corry in the year 1909," and is identical with that in the Guildhall, (a house built at the same time).  The view is here advanced that any portions of the Norman Castle which may have been standing were pulled down and that it was decided to retain the central portion built around the main chimney stack, face the front with stone and build a wing on the north-east side.  It is further suggested that this extension involved the demolishment of a small turret which originally balanced the one still standing on the south-west corner, the two together defining a pleasingly symmetrical appearance which must have been more attractive that the present unbalanced appearance.  Also if an entirely new house were built in 1700 would it not have been a complete house of that period similar to the one built by the Earl of Newport about the same time?

The grandson of Richard Lyster was a remarkable figure. He died in 1776 and having represented the County of Salop for 30 years, he was known as the Senator.  He was a firm supporter of the exiled Royal House, which was not to the taste of the Whig Government of the day, and although he was first elected by a considerable majority his election was contested and his opponent was chosen in his place.  Upon the decision being announced in the Commons, Mr Lyster feeling very keenly the injustice of the proceedings put on his hat and with his back to the speaker walked down the House when his manner being remarked, he was called to order and pointed out to the chair.  Turning abruptly around he instantly said "When you learn justice I will learn manners".  When the Salop Infirmary opened in 1774 Richard Lyster became the Treasurer.