Rowton Castle, Halfway House, Shrewsbury, SY5 9EP
+44 (0) 1743 884 044

Latest tweet

Such a beautiful day for a wedding. @ Rowton Castle Hotel & Restaurant http://t.co/8HYivcXcU3

banner

       

Civil War Era

The County of Shropshire contains many beautiful old houses, some of which have remained almost untouched since they were built.  Rowton Castle as it stands today shows the work of many periods and is often dismissed as a modern building in a castellated style or incorrectly described as a nineteenth century house with a fifteenth century round tower.  It seems that the site is an ancient one; the foundations are old, and the central core may be late Tudor (all that is left of the castle which stood for the King in the Civil War).  The writer suggests that after the war the house was faced with stone and a wing built on the North East side.  Furthermore, it would seem that in the early nineteenth century the whole mansion was decorated in the style of the Gothic Revival and that round tower, courtyard and the gate house were built at the same time to give a medieval appearance.

Until early in the present century the front drive ran direct to the house, but at that time the main entrance was moved to the South West side, where some interior alternations were made to meet it, the drive was taken to the courtyard and a lawn laid down in its place. It is fortunate that more is known about the owners of the Castle than about the house itself and many of them played an important part in local affairs.